"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Friday, May 1, 2009

Vanessa's Wedding!


The last of my roomies from BYU got married this past weekend in the Salt Lake Temple. She's a BYU grad and returned missionary and one of the most wonderful people ever. It was so great to finally meet her fiance and especially to reconnect with all my old friends. Lizzy left work early and picked me up Thursday from the airport. We drove up to American Fork to see Jamie (another one of my bridesmaids!) where she works at Olive Garden. That night was just hilarious anyway because our children started in booster seats, and ended up being complete hellions and crawling all over the table by the time we left. Poor Jamie.


Next day, we did our bridesmaidly duties and ran errands for our little bride to be. She trusted us to take her ring and get it cleaned. We spent a lot of time putting it on our finger, imagining what it would be like to own such a "sea of sparkle". Her ring is magnificent to say the least! She also put us in charge of her bouquet which I got to hold in my lap in the car for 2 days.
Smelled fabulous though so I can't complain too much. After a quick trip to the Wilk for some Lettuce Wraps (YUM) we battled graduation traffic and headed out for a few moments of quiet relaxation getting pedicures. Jamie came and met us too so it was awesome to get to spend more time with her!!! And I'm SO SORRY I didn't take get a picture with Jamie!!! She's pregnant, due in like 10 weeks and looks so fantastic.


The day of the blessed event arrives. The bride is beautiful and everything is perfect for their sealing in the temple. Now, you would think that your spring wedding would be warm and glorious....hmm..not so much thank you Utah weather. It was FREEZING and raining. We're waiting for the bride and groom in high heals, silk dresses that don't look so great with water marks on them, running from cover to cover and huddling together trying to stay warm. The rain finally stopped though and the landscaping was glorious with everything in bloom. I'm sure her pictures will be perfect.


Now, Vanessa does nothing mediocre and wouldn't have anything less than a show stopping reception. It looked like something off of Platinum Weddings with her viney orchids centerpieces, harpist, 7 piece band, "moch-aritas" with edible orchids and spectacular wedding cake (including pineapple upside down cake, chocolate chocolate chip, white chocolate and raspberry and strawberries and cream)...I have a thing for cake if you can't tell. Anyway, in typical Emily fashion, I spill red cocktail sauce on my dress within the first five minutes of the reception. Other than that, it couldn't have been more perfect. Food was magnificent, laughed a lot with my old roomies reminiscing about our crazy days. I had 4 pieces of cake and danced my heart out. Now, Vanessa is from Columbia, and these people know how to party! I look like a total doof tyring to dance next to their perfect rythm. So Uncle Carlos taught me how to salsa!! He said my hips move just right. Woo hoo!! (Not so talented in the doing anything coordinated department, so this was big excitement for me!)






p.s. Not so impressed with "edible orchids". They just taste like a flower.

p.s.s. Yes I had Jack with me. I chose to omit the comments on how this was probably the most stressful weekend of my life. I think I'd like to document the happy memories.

6 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

sounds like lots of fun! what a pretty bride! i am interested in hearing about the jack attack though! :)

Anonymous said...

...sorry everything else was the most stressful week of your life

Alyssa said...

Sounds and looks like you had a lot of fun at the wedding but I think you forgot to mention all the fun and nice things Amanda did for you too. A simple thanks would have been nice. I know it's stressful with three kids, but I'll tell ya what...it's even more stressful with four ;) Oh and before I forget...hope Jack is feeling better! Poor guy.

JON and EM said...

FYI, this was only the first of my 2 postings. I spent the rest of the week with MY BEST FRIEND in Colorado. Amanda time is getting it's own, long awesome post. I just didn't have time to do it all on Friday.

The Gray Family said...

Emily I loved spending time with you. You were a wonderful guest and I had so much fun with you cleaning food off the tables at Olive Garden. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

Candice said...

That dress is beautiful! That is one that you really can wear again! Sorry it was so stressful, but I'm sure it was nice to get to see all your friends!