"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Monday, May 4, 2009

Post Wedding trip with Amanda!


As I headed out to BYU for my first summer at college, I was terrified I was going to get stuck with some weirdo roommate. We'd e-mailed some, and she seemed normal enough, but still, I was worried. I arrive at DT for orientation, and alas, my roomie was not a weirdo. Infact she has ended up being my best friend and one of the coolest girls ever. We have remained great friends over the years, and have managed to stay close even though we're living on opposite sides of the country.

We decided it would be a great idea to extend my trip after the wedding and to go spend some time with her in Colorado. Both of us had a baby the other had never met, so this little reunion was way past due!!

After the wedding, I went with Amanda and Alan back to Eden where her family lives. Her very awesome and very brave little sister had watched 4 children, including mine, the night before so we could go to the reception. So I figured it was time to go and collect him. The next 2 days were awesome. We just chilled, ate a million chocolate chip cookies, I ga-ga-ed that it was snowing, we hot-tubed and just spent a lot of time with family. (I know I say that like they're my family, but they feel very much like my adopted family away from home.) I ate the most delicious chocolate cake ever, and got to see my first Lacrosse game! Go Weber! :)

Once we were back in Colorado, the pampering really began. :) Amanda got us babysitters and treated me to a massage. I loved being in our puffy robes with hot wraps around our necks, sipping herbal tea. Never wanted to leave that warm fireplace and trickling waterfall.


But alas, there was plenty more fun to be had. That night we saw 17 Again in a creepier than all get out abandoned movie theater, and laughed and swooned over Zac Efron in our own private showing. We went to the park, the mall and one very eventful trip to Target.




Zack loved those loli-pops!




Amanda's brilliant 3-year-old Jaida, and Jack on the playground.



Night before I left, Jack started throwing up. So I'm up for a good portion of the night changing sheets and cleaning carpet. After a brief moment of alarm, thinking my child had the swine flu, I realized he had no fever and we were both able to go back to sleep. Next day, all seems normal. My very talented roommate started highlighting my hair while our children were "napping." Unfortunately the napping didn't last long and we ended up having two nearly naked children clinging to our feet as she's trying to time the bleach just perfectly.

Quite hilarious. But it turned out awesome so we must've done something right!




So after very few tears, we're at the teeny Grand Junction airport saying goodbye. I board my 20 passenger commuter plane and am airing my way to Denver. Started to feel really nauseous on this first leg and thought it was because of all the turbulence. I board my next plane home out of Denver, and things start to get bad. I have a screaming over-tired toddler in my lap who is refusing to go to sleep and nothing else will make him happy. I feel like I'm going to throw up so I quickly make friends with the girl next to me, leave Jack and run for the bathroom. Hmm...still sick but no action. After time and time again of running to the bathroom, I think I might die. I can barely sit, let alone wrestle with my insane child. He ends up just sitting in my lap, SCREAMING for a good hour. All together this baby screamed for 2 hours before finally falling asleep. Normally I would be mortified that the other passengers were being tortured by my child, but at this point I only cared about staying conscious. Jack falls asleep as we're starting our descent. I lay my head back, wishing for unconsciousness. No such luck. I finally start throwing up. In a barf bag no less in my seat. (I don't recommend making your sickness public on an airplane when there's a global pandemic circulating.) We land and the flight attendant asks if I need a wheelchair. "Nooooo" I say. "I'm fine." We're on the tarmac, pulling up to the gate, and I realize I can't stand. How am I supposed to carry my luggage and push a child when I can't even sit up? So I grab the flight attendant and tell her maybe the wheelchair wasn't such a bad idea. I wait on the plane as everyone exits. I'm laying across a seat, with Jack sleeping in the isle next to me. The pilot comes up to me and says "sorry ma'am, but I'm going to have to ask you to stay on board a while. I had to report you to the airline and I'm waiting to hear what they need me to do. Do you need the paramedics?" "No no no." I said. "I just want to go home." Mind you, it's after midnight by the point. We're all so tired and my poor husband is waiting, so excited to see us. I'm cooperative and I lay in the seat another half hour. After a long time, the paramedics show up, trying to take me and Jack to the hospital to check us for Swine Flu. Did they not hear me say no?! "No" I said. "We don't have the swine flu. Neither of us have a fever or sore throat, it's only nausea, diarrhea and vomiting." So after some major protesting, they agree to let me go. It's after 1:00AM when they load me up in the wheelchair, a sleeping Jack in my arms. The paramedics and flight crew are standing around me saying "who can push the wheelchair?" "Not me"...etc. Oh my gosh. I was beginning to loose it by this time. "Forget it!" I said and I wobble up and load Jack in the stroller and stumble out to meet my husband. He was so excited and wanting to hug and kiss me. "Dying" I had to remind him. We make it home, I'm barely alive and collapse into bed. But behold, I was not dead the next morning, so I didn't take myself to the doctor like I'd promised the paramedics I would if I still wasn't feeling good. It took me the weekend to recover from the trauma of the sickness and the flight, and I felt almost human again on Monday. So for all of you who think you have the worst flying with a child story....bring it. :)
Despite the rotten ending, I had a great time reconnecting with my friends!! I got to have so much girl time, and it's amazing how you feel no time has past when you get back together. I'm so grateful to have such awesome friends!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily you are so sweet, I'm glad you had a good time visiting...all our little children running wild sure did make things a little crazier and more hectic, haha... But it was totally worth it, Jack was a very good baby and so handsome, I'm so happy I got to see you both... thank you for being such a good friend through all these years... MANY MORE TO COME! Luv ya:)

Opp Family said...

Your story wins! I've only lost a carseat in the gate check and that was traumatic enough!

Megan said...

You poor woman!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that...that story was so awful. I am glad to hear you don't have swine flu! Looks like you had fun minus the trip home. I love your hair!

Stacy Christian said...

Emily! I'm so sorry! What a horrible experience. I bet you were so happy to see Jon. I'm glad you were able to see your friends. It's crazy how perfect you and Amanda were to be roommates. Glad you had fun!

Ryan and Brindi said...

wow that story is classic. a wheelchair?? awesome em... no wonder you love flying so much!

Alyssa said...

I'm jealous of you two! Looks like you had a lot of fun, except for the trip back of course! And sorry if my last comment sounded a little rude, I didn't mean for it to. Your a great friend to Amanda.

Krista said...

Emily!! That is the saddest story... ever. How terrible to be in a situation like that with no one to take care of you or really help you out. I am baking you some cookies, right now.

Dear Little Dude said...

ok Em...I can top that one...sorry to say...I had a 6 month old and as making the trip from atl to slc. I was on a plane full of Service Men- army etc.... when my child completly blows out of his diaper during take off. I was sitting in the middle and had to get up during take off with the flight attendant screaming at me to sit down, so I show him to her and she just waves me on. I lock my self in the bathroom but there is no changing table...so I lay him on his pad on the toilet and start to change him....the stuff is everywhere...then he decides to pee all over himself...so I am trying to get him all cleaned up while we are in a slanted position in the air. The stewardess is banging on the door and so I just open it and ...ill finish in a minute

Jessica M said...

Cute pictures! And your hair looks good too. And I think you have the new best traveling-with-a-child war story EVER. Love you!

Candice said...

You poor thing! That is straite out of a movie! I would never want to fly again!

Dave and Jana said...

Wow! I can't beleive that happened! That sounds really bad! I am glad you are negative with swine flu..what a mess! So glad you are home safe and sound! You flying anytime soon? lol