For Memorial Day weekend/week, we took some friends down to my parents beach house. We headed down in 3 separate shifts. Brindi and I, along with our babies started the journey Friday afternoon. Mind you, I've been going this route to Florida my entire life, but have yet to drive it myself. I have zero sense of direction and get lost going to the grocery store. But I was feeling good and confident and sure I would recognize my way. You see where this is going. So we're heading through down town Atlanta, stuck in holiday weekend getaway traffic. Our children are fussing already, and I HATE driving 85. HATE those big highways. They freak me out. So I pick the left lane and stick to it. We get through Atlanta incident free and are cruising our way to the Alabama border on 85. Or so I thought. About 2 1/2 hours in, I'm looking for my exit. (Don't know the exit number, just the name. Helpful). When all of the sudden, 75 and 475 split. !?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I had managed to get on 75 (NOOOOOO ONE told me 75 and 85 merge in Atl!!!!) and bring us to Macon. Um...yeah that's the OPPOSITE direction of Alabama. As if this trip wasn't going to be painful enough, I just added a good 2 hours on the journey. So my life-saving mother mapped us out a new route and we trek across Georgia heading for Columbus. A few hysterics, tears, fits and monsoons later, we fiiiiiiiiiiinally make it to the house. 9 1/2 hours people. Why do I have such traveling problems?!?!!? But we made it safe and sound and Brindi and Aiden, who were trusting me completely to get us there, were total troopers and didn't yell at me once.
The boys and Kristen get there late that night, and the Futrals meet up with us Saturday morning. Finally we're all together and ready for fun!! Too bad the forecast was rain for the entire week. Luckily we had good company, a Wii, movies and children to entertain us. But alas, the sun shone through for a few hours Saturday for us to go to the beach. Jack was terrified of the ocean and wouldn't go near it. He spent his time wondering the sand, pulling up little plants on the dunes. Hey, it was awesome letting him run a muck and get as messy as we wanted. And let me just tell you, this child was pooping sand for days. Too much info? Oh well.

Jack just
lookin' handsome

He put that hat on himself. Here he is just wondering.

Matt and Kristen ready for some crab hunting. :)

Me and my
hunka hunka burning love.
By day 2, Jack decided water wasn't so scary and became a complete kamikaze. He would run to the ocean, nothing holding him back. At the pool, he would run in ahead of me and be ready to jump. Didn't want to stay on the stairs or in my arms. He was ready to swim away. Too bad he can't swim!!! Anyway, weather ended up clearing up and we got a GORGEOUS day to celebrate our Memorial Day.
5 comments:
You have such a great life! So many vacations. I think you take more vacations in 6 months than I have had in the last 6 years. Enjoy it sweetie you deserve it :)Love ya
Fun fun pictures! My nephew is so stinkin' cute! I'm sorry your trip down was such an ordeal. BTW, 75 and 85 merge in Atlanta...
Emily, I love the pictures! I could tell you some stories about getting lost (in Atlanta and other places)! Too funny, after the fact, that is....
Oh I miss days driving with Emily! LOL! Do you rememeber getting lost coming back from the dance from FL ending up in AL? I miss those days! That is such a great picture of you and Jack!
Haha YES I remember that and I actually told Brindi the story as we were driving down. "We're in Alabama, and we're not supposed to be in Alabama." Ah...good times. :)
Post a Comment