"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Monday, April 20, 2009

Callaway Gardens






Callaway Gardens is one of my most favorite places in the whole wide world. A good part of my childhood was spent pedaling as fast as my little legs would go around the infinite azaleas, lilies, orchids, Pansy's, Japanese Maples, magnolia trees etc. Unfortunately, along with this blissful biking through the gardens came crashing into other bikers, trees and lakes. These instances in turn made me develop a phobic fear of riding bicycles and I've avoided it most of my adult life.

Drew was in town last week and wanted us to join him and the family for the day. I broke out in a cold sweat and my pulse elevated with the very thought of getting on a bike. But I braved up and mentally prepared myself for a day of bike riding fun. It seems karma had something else in mind. My parents let me borrow a bike, and after adjusting the seat and gears, test driving, hitting the brakes and screaming a few times, I felt confident enough to start the trail. My bike was making weird noises and everyone told me it was normal. NO! My chain broke and almost sent me catapulting onto the pavement. So dad takes that bike back and gives me his to ride. It was of coarse way too tall for my stumpy legs and I seriously injured myself trying to dismount. Jon, seeing that I was about to loose it, takes the initiative to go rent me a bike. And I'm so glad he did!!! I got a bike that lets you sit up instead of lean forward, is automatic, and most importantly, has a bell. It was awesome!! We all ended up having a wonderful day and I think I might have overcome my fear of bicycles. Until next time that is......

This is Jack's new face for "smile for the camera". Glad it's such an attractive face...

Jack's favorite thing is to be outside. He SCREAMS when we won't let him outside then SCREAMS when we try to bring him in. So Callaway Gardens was like a day of heaven for him. We let him run around and touch all the trees and fountains.





He was plum tuckered out!

4 comments:

Candice said...

I love that last picture! I forgot about your stories of crashing LOL

The Gray Family said...

Aww. I can't wait to kiss Jack's darling little face on Thursday. Yippee! I've been looking into motherly things for us to do together while you are here. Ha Ha...

I am sure pedicures and manicures will be on that list somewhere... See ya at 3:00 on Thursday sweetie...

And yes I am still annoyed, but I will play nice!

Karen said...

You were so brave to try the bike!! I'm so glad it ended up being a fun day for you - and for all of us!!!! the Jackster is the cutest.

Carlie said...

i agree about bike riding. i also have this fear. i used to be able to do it...but no more. it does work better in a bike that is your right size....but i am a mess on a bike.