"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ciao Baby!!!

We're home!! we've spent the last day and morning trying to recover from jet lag and unpacking our suitcases. Hmm...that didn't take long. EVERYTHING to the dirty clothes hamper! But we're so glad to be home and I'm busy loading all my pictures! Plenty to come I assure you.


I love traveling to other countries because it makes me realize how much I LOOOOOOVE the US!!! I love that the grocery stores are filled with every type of food you can imagine, you can eat out any type of world-wide cuisine imaginable, that restrooms are FREE, there are minimal toll roads, and that it's against the law for 14-year-olds to smoke. But then, there are so many things I love and envy about other countries. In Italy especially, everything just seems slower. It seems we Americans are always in a hurry, and I feel we put way too much importance on material things. Being tucked away in Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera, there was no gym, mall, cell phone store, Starbucks, movie theater, or even a gas station. Real commercialism was a train ride away. I envy these people. I envy that they can let themselves relax and enjoy life without having to be doing something every second of every day. As we traveled, we noticed nothing is open on Sunday, and every other day all the stores close by 8, and people go home to enjoy time with they're families. I think these Europeans have the right idea!!


I can't believe our trip is over! But we had a wonderful time and Italy was everything I dreamed it could be. We had perfect weather despite the Arctic Siberian winds, stayed at great places ate a dang lot of pasta, and enjoyed spending so much time together.

5 comments:

Teeners said...

I am glad that you had so much fun in Italy. Every time I go abroad, it makes me grateful for the USA also. I talked to Mom last night--she is glad to have you home too! I am excited to see you in a couple weeks!

Krista said...

Oh wow. That picture is breathtaking! What I would give to live in a town like that, that's amazing! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading about all your adventures you lucky ducks! How did Jack do with your in-laws!?

Candice said...

Oh I am so glad you had such a great time!!!!!! I can't wait to see all of your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ok... I'm totally jealous!! That picture looks amazing! I'm glad you guys had a fun trip... and I can't wait to see you soon, YAY!

Jessica M said...

I loved reading this. I'm almost over jet lag and I finally did my laundry today.