I need advice from all my friends who are seasoned pros in the mommy sector. My child is a total spaz. Let me give you the pre-spaz version first: Normally, my sweet little boy takes 2 naps a day. I just give him his passy, lay him down and walk out. He'll go right to sleep for 1-2 hours per nap. Then he sleeps about 12 hours at night. When he's awake, he's cheerful and can entertain himself. This all changed about 2 weeks ago. I put him down for his morning nap as usual, and he proceeded to scream for 1+ hours until I finally gave up. This happened a few times, with me going in and rescuing him after a good half hour or so of screaming. Now, he refuses to take a morning nap, even though he's cranky and rubbing his little eyes. Then he only takes a one hour or so nap in the afternoon. Then this morning he wakes up at 6:45!!!! (That's an hour earlier than he normally wakes up). Have I ruined him by going in when he screams? Are we giving up the morning nap all together?! I'm not ready!!!
Along with this whole personality change came the biting. He has started biting his mama and thinks it's hilarious. He also likes to scream at the top of his lungs, just because he likes the sound. ADVICE PLEASE!!! Can you discipline a one year old?
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Ouch!!! Oh. Yes, you can definitely discipline a one year old! Biting, no matter how you handle it, should definitely be an "ABSOLUTELY NOT". How should you handle it? I am no pro. We use the time out method- in his crib. We put him in, explain BRIEFLY but FIRMLY what he did and why it's wrong- let him cry it out or just sit in there for 1-2 mins and then go back in, repeat the explanation and take him out. And for biting- there is no "first time's a warning"- it's straight to time out for that one, for us.
(Oh I'm so not a seasoned mommy like you described...)
As far as the nap, be happy he made it this far with 2 naps! Honestly. It may be time to say goodbye to morning nap time, but what you have to try to do is do it happily and still salvage your time for a good afternoon nap! If it gets to be too hectic, he might do what he's doing and skimp out on his nap in the afternoon too. Instead maybe try to wear him out, get him lunch and then try to get a 2-4 hour nap in the afternoon. That's where we are.
Hope this helps- again, I'm no pro, and in no way do I feel like I'm anyone, YOU especially, need to learn from... this is just what works for us. Good luck! Oh the joys...
Oh Emily! I really feel for you because we're going through some of that at our house as well. I'm a big believer in the "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" book. From what I've read (and experienced with both of my kids), it sounds like Mr. Jack is transitioning from two naps to one. What I would suggest (and what I'm doing with Juliana) is pushing back the time of his morning nap by 10 minute increments every day until you get to the point where he's going down for his one nap somewhere between 11 and 1 (wherever it fits with y'all's current schedule). He should sleep for at least an hour and a half, but it could be as much as three hours.
It's definitely a transition period, so it's not going to be neat and tidy. Some days you might feel like you're making more progress than others, and that's ok. I don't think you've ruined him by going in there. This time is tough on them too. They want to be big kids and stay up more, but their little bodies just get tired. And some days you might find that he still needs/wants two naps, while other days he does fine with one (that's where we're at right now with Juliana).
As for the biting, I'm not an expert since neither of my kids are biters, but I would say one is definitely NOT too young to discipline. I would just tell him "NO" very firmly, while shaking your head and even wagging your finger any time he bit or tried to bite. If you feel comfortable, I would even tap his hand lightly as a "spanking" to let him know biting is definitely not ok.
Good luck! And I hope this was helpful.
It's been a long time!
But as for biting, at one year old, any consequence has to be immediate so he can put two and two together. A light tap on the lip (enough so he can feel it) and hardy "no" (Dad can't be laughing either.)Often a hardy enough no startles them to tears, but the tap on the lips tells him what the "no" is.
As for naps, soorry, but it sounds like your free time is now shorter.
Love to all!!
Adoption is always an option. ;)
Hey Em! Um When Robbie started biting....(and that just ended in December)I just flicked him in the mouth..not way hard but hard enough that he got the point that biting is a NO! HE got the message pretty quickly...it only took him biting me 3 times...and 3 flicks to the mouth..and he stopped...anyways,,,I am so excited that you are going to Italy!!! Have tons of fun!!!
oh and the nap thing...since he probably is going from 2 naps to 1 when you do put him down for the 2nd nap...let him cry, he will eventually wear out and fall asleep and then he learns its nap time...but the first times are rough...and he could cry for a long time...but he is prob just testing you to see your limits...once he learns that nap means nap...he will sleep fine...
oh well take what you want,...love you!
Post a Comment