Another plus for living here and having a hubby who is a government employee means he gets a lot of little holidays off. (This is a big change for us whereas Jon's last job was a German company and he was required to work Fourth of July. We're in America people.) Anyway, so he got MLK off a few weeks ago and we went down to the Air and Space Museum. Jack's very into planets right now, and is still thrilled by airplanes so this was an awesome trip!! (I say that now....during the visit while Jack was tantrum throwing and Tucker screaming wanting to be released from the stroller, Jon and I kept looking at each other saying "why do we go anywhere???") Funny how the memories aren't tainted by all the drama of the trip.
We also went and checked out the National Cathedral....which looked like every other cathedral, but it was beautiful nonetheless.
And Jon with a face that says: "Em, is it ok to take pictures in here?"
Next was President's Day which was cold, icky and rainy (praise that it was rain and not snow) so we headed downtown again, but this time to my new favorite place, the Museum of Natural History. Seriously, this is the coolest place ever!! This is the second time we've been and there's still PLENTY more stuff to see to warrant and 3rd and 4th trip! So cool!! This time we saw the dinosaurs and the Hope Diamond.
Then we walked down the mall (I sound so local don't I?) to the Washington Monument and let Jack frolic for a bit. Came home, relaxed and made GF pretzels...which were marvelous I might add.
Other happenings in my life include a Tuck who has 6 teeth and is so close to walking! His first word was "hello" and practices saying it into the phone, remote control, or any other electrical device that is small and rectangular. He giggles and plays games and is the silliest, sweetest baby ever.
Jack is turning into a little man delights us with "please, thank you and excuse me". He is loving sunbeams and always insists on saying the prayer and helping me read scriptures every night.
Since moving here, I've officially entered the world of being a "stay at home mom" and mostly loving it. There are plenty of things I miss about working, and am surprised that I find myself getting bored. So....I have started a few project. YIKES I know. First....over Christmas while in Tennessee I went to the Smokey Mountain Knife Works and found THE COOLEST stuff!!! I could in no way afford all the things I wanted to I settled on these 3 antique pieces of a door frame, from China which are over a hundred years old. It's taken me way longer than I thought it would restoring these with Pledge and a toothbrush. Here's some before and afters:
Since moving to the land of in-shape runners, it has inspired me to RUN. This is something I've always wanted to get into, but have yet to do. Well...now is the time. I'm running in a half marathon at the end of April, so it's time to get CRACKIN! I got fitted for and bought some NEW running shoes (I say new....really it means I bought my first pair of running shoes EVER) and start my training today. I'm totally terrified but excited to train my body in something new.

I'm also developing my crafty side (which we all know needs LOTS of developing) and am going to make a quilt!! Are you all amazed yet??! Well you should be. I went and got all the fabric and have cut......15 squares. So this time next year...or decade I might be finished. I'll keep you posted.




6 comments:
You blog reminds me of all the reasons why I love you! Oh DC is marvelous and i am slightly jealous of you. And I have always thought of you as crafty. I had never even heard of scrapbooking before I met you. I still recall you sitting in the floor documenting our college days. Now I work for a freaking scrapbooking company--so funny! I can't wait to see you this summer when I come to the land of promise--East Coast baby!
I just noticed my comment says it is from Michael. Don't worry Jon, it isn't Michael it is his wife that is confessing how much she loves your wife.
Wow, that's quite a jump from banging your head against the wall in your previous post! Half marathon, eh . . . you make me sick :) Just kidding - way to go em! I just hope you aren't crazy enough to rope me into running with you when I see you in a few months. You might not live to see your half marathon if you did :)
A half marathon? How exciting! Can't wait to see you!
Oh I smiled the entire time I read your post! I'm glad your making the most of DC and I totally agree with why do I go anywhere. I guess at some pt we will learn how to tune our kids out and try to enjoy the moments, but maybe not. We should ask our parents :) So proud of you for running.
I found you! Glad to see you have been enjoying all the FREE in DC.
Post a Comment