You may recall me mentioning a while ago that Jon has been sick. Last summer he started running a high fever and it continued for weeks. Doctor's said it was the flu. I don't think so. He has lost 30 pounds since last May, has digestive issues, no energy and vomits if he pushes himself too hard at the gym. NOT NORMAL. So with my urging, he finally made another doctors appoitment to get this figured out. After 3 doctors visits, countless viles of blood and "other type" samples, and an Endoscopy, he has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease! For those of you who are not well-informed of this auto-immune disease, I'll let the Mayo Clinic explain: "Celiac disease is a digestive condition triggered by consumption of the protein gluten, which is found in bread, pasta, cookies, pizza crust and many other foods containing wheat, barley or rye. If you have celiac disease and eat foods containing gluten, an immune reaction occurs in your small intestine, causing damage to the surface of your small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients.
Eventually, the decreased absorption of nutrients (malabsorption) that occurs with celiac disease can cause vitamin deficiencies that deprive your brain, peripheral nervous system, bones, liver and other organs of vital nourishment. This can lead to other illnesses and stunted growth in children.
No treatment can cure celiac disease. However, you can effectively manage celiac disease through changing your diet. " --- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319
Eventually, the decreased absorption of nutrients (malabsorption) that occurs with celiac disease can cause vitamin deficiencies that deprive your brain, peripheral nervous system, bones, liver and other organs of vital nourishment. This can lead to other illnesses and stunted growth in children.
No treatment can cure celiac disease. However, you can effectively manage celiac disease through changing your diet. " --- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319
So Jon had to say goodbye to all of the goodness that contains wheat, barley and rye. 

But do not be alarmed, ICE CREAM is gluten free. Life is still good.We are very excited that they have finally been able to figure out what is wrong with him, and SO glad it's something as simple as Celiac Disease. No medications, no surgery, just a drastic diet change he will live with for the rest of his life. I am so happy it was nothing more serious and am very excited for his new life and way of eating. But be warned, we might be taking out loans to pay our weekly grocery bills. GOOD heavens. This healthy, gluten-free stuff is dang expensive.
I'm up for any tips, advice, store locations or anything you might know about how to make this new lifestyle a little bit easier. We've got a lot to learn!




11 comments:
oh my gosh!!! i can't believe this is what has been bothering him for so long! poor jon! i have tried gluten free cookies and let's say they were um.... interesting. good luck with the new diet. we will try to keep that in mind now when we feed u guys!!
I am soooooo glad the problem is solved! Noelle, Marks wife's sister can even touch gluten or she gets sick, so you should ask her what all her sister does...I know more and more people are having issues from it, so you can even find gluten free noodles. I'm sure there expensive, but a least there is an option there. I'm sure you have already done all the research and know tons...I saw the gluten free link on your blog and was wondering what that was.
I have many friends with children who have this problem. They all shop at SPROUTS! it is an organic store with a gluten free option of more everything. They have cake, bread, snacks, ect... i am not sure if this store is on the east coast but if it is i would try it out. Good luck with everything.
I am so glad ya'll got that figured out. It just wasn't right that he was having all of those problems. I guess now we can swap our "it is too hard to find food that is X free."
I know they have pasta that is made out of spinach that may be a good alternative to the regular pasta. And it is a lot heathlier too.
And Emily this may be a good thing for your marriage. Maybe you will start going to the grocery and buying more than cereal and peanut M&M's.
Oh how i miss you and can't wait to see pics of your baby bump.
I buy gluten free bread. You can find in the health aisle freezer section at kroger. It is by called ezekiel bread. It is about $5.00 it is best kept in the fridge. It may take a bit to get use to the texture, it is not a soft bread. But we really like it. It makes the best toast. Just look around, a lot of organic food is Gluten-free. Hope this helped.
thank goodness for ice cream!
and cheese!
glad that you found a diagnosis. that is really most of the battle.
I had a friend with Celiac disease, and she found a bunch of things at Fred Meyer. I don't know if you have a Fred Meyer close to you, but that's what worked for her. Good luck!
Hey Emily-My sister and one of my best girlfriends (she's actually named Emily too) both have Celiac. Let me know if you want their phone numbers or email addresses...I'm sure they'd be happy to share some of their tips with you.
At least he can still enjoy fruits and veggies! I guess this is going to be a test of how creative you can be in the kitchen. :) I'm glad the problem has been figured out. And that the diet change helps him feel better.
I actually just saw a gluten free pamphlet at Publix the other day. Tell Jon I'll start searching out something tasty for him.
It's so weird how many people actually have that! Glad the problem is solved, though! I think I'd die if I had it, I'm such a carb-a-holic!
Post a Comment