"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Monday, June 2, 2008

sweet relaxin'


Jon and I were counting down the days until Memorial Day weekend. He's had a crappy couple of weeks at work and hadn't seen me or his son awake in days. So we were dang excited for a 3 day weekend!! We celebrated his day off by going to the pool with some friends, seeing Indiana Jones and grilling out. It was a smashing success!!


The next morning, I left for Destin with my family. I figured Jon wouldn't even notice I was gone with the hours he's been working. This was Jack's third time to the beach, but first time touching the sand. (also see if you can notice my way cute hair cut)
He loved chillin' in his little float at the pool and would just sit back and let his little raisen toes float around. Freaking adorable.
And here he is rollin around on Pops.











Ok..... and now for the highlight of the trip. So me mom and dad are down at the beach one morning (I'd pawned the napping Jack off on Lucas) and I'm in the water, about thigh high just looking at shells and trying to avoid stepping on crabs. My parents are up on the shore, only about 10 feet away. This older man out for a jog passes us, then starts running back telling my dad that there is a shark in the water. My dad yells to me "get out of the water!" But I didn't hear him until he said SHARK!! Without even looking, I sprinted out of the water, turned and saw a 6 foot bull shark swim right where I had just been. It was close enough I could see his two dorsal fins had white tips. Granted, he didn't even pay any attention to me and probably wouldn't have eaten me but still!!! So once I got my heart rate under control, we continue our walk. We see another shark, a little smaller swimming about 10 feet off shore. What the heck. So later on that day, Lucas and I, with boogie boards in tote, made out way out to the beach. There was a family down there and they warned us that they'd just seen a shark. So we decided to build a sandcastle instead. We had not been down there 5 minutes and we saw another shark!!! 3 in one day people!! Needless to say, I didn't go more than ankle deep the rest of the trip.

5 comments:

Candice said...

Holy frick on a stick!!!!!!! That is scary!!!!!!! That is so scary Emily! I am glad you didn't get eaten up. Cute bathing suit too! Where did you get it?

Anonymous said...

Cute beach pictures but that shark thing is terrifying! I'm glad you are ok.

Stacy Christian said...

As if you knew what a bull shark was.

--Spencer

Jamie said...

That's so scary! A great white shark was just spotted off shore near a beach where I like to surf. I think I'll be waiting a little while before I go surf at that beach. Glad you are okay! I keep telling Andrew that we need to go visit Georgia one day...you got me hooked, I love it there!

Jessica M said...

Wimp. *Grin* Though the shark picture made me laugh!!