"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Torticollis

Ever since Jack was born, we've noticed that he prefers looking to his left. He would only look to the right out of the corner of his eye. And over the past few weeks, we realized his head was actually flattening on one side. We went to the doctor yesterday, and they diagnosed him with Torticollis. This is a condition in which the head is tilted toward one side, and the chin is elevated and turned toward the opposite side. It's a result of malpositioning in utero which can cause damage to the sternocleidomastoid (main muscle in the neck). Physical therapy should be able to correct it, so we'll be starting that soon!

10 comments:

Natalie Putnam said...

Both my kids were born with Torticollis. The physical therapy should really help.

Natalie Putnam

Opp Family said...

I'll pray that everything works out for little Jack.

Natalie Putnam said...

Yes, both my kids were born with torticollis because my stomach didn't get big enough for them when I was pregnant, so they couldn't move at all.

Neither of them had to wear helmets, and both their heads are alright.

Just make sure you do all the stretches and activities they tell you about at the physical therapy. Also, try to always hold him so that you are stretching his neck the opposite direction We always did most our stretching when the kids were nursing or asleep because they are more relaxed and wont fight you as much.

If you have any questions you can always e-mail me at natalie at stringham dot org.

Rebecca said...

well it's always a good thing to find out there is something you can do to help out with a problem. hope all goes well, and you keep us updated on jack!

Candice said...

Beau had that and I have heard of a couple of my friend that had it too. As long as you do your stretches then everything will be fine :) Don't worry a bit. Good thing you are such a good mommy! His muscle will stretch out in no time!

Anonymous said...

It's nice that you know what it is and what to do about it early. You are such a good mom, little jack is in good hands! Call me, love ya

Hillary said...

Aww, poor Jack! I'm not worried, though. He's just too cute to not work out in the end. Good luck!

Jessica M said...

Wow, that sounded so scientific. Lots of big words to describe our sweet little boy. I'm sure he'll be the star of physical therapy class.

Shannon said...

I know this probably sounds weird, but I'm glad you recognized him having a problem. I think too many parents gloss over their "perfect" kids' problems when it's something so easy to fix- like Torticollis! :) Which I'd never heard of. :)

Jamie said...

My friend had twin boys about the same age as your lil boy. One of her boys has Torticollis. She just started taking him to physical therapy too, interesting! Never heard of it before.